Thursday 12 September 2013

Winter in Seoul

 

It was still winter when we arrived in Seoul. Apparently that winter was one of the longest winters in history, and it was winter for more than half the time I was there. I still remember how the bitter cold felt, our horribly red noses which were a tell-tale sign that we were foreigners, freezing under the sheets because we wanted to save on utilities and didn't turn on the heater, getting excited when the forecast said there was going to be snow... Oh the good old memories (:

Winter was the time when everything still felt exciting and fresh to me - I call it the holiday phase. Like when on holiday, I did a lot of eating. I was always eating, even when I was not hungry, because I wanted to try everything haha! Piping hot spicy rice cakes, spicy hot pot, spicy kimchi jjigae, spicy everything. My tolerance for spicy food has drastically increased thanks to eating kimchi almost every single day while I was in Korea.

I missed home the most in winter, particularly in late winter when the novelty wore off. People usually love the idea of winter because it always seems so pretty with all that snow, winter fashion and of course the cold weather, but I must admit that I don't really like winter haha! Other than not perspiring, fairer and smoother skin, magically soft and glossy hair, there's not much more to winter that I like. Heavy coats, bald trees, ears that hurt, red nose, dry hands, fingers that feel like they are about to drop off every time I leave the house, thick uncomfortable leggings, looking and feeling like a ba zhang everyday, feeling cold everywhere... It was horrible at times.

So hurray for summer all freaking year round in Singapore!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com
Fonts: Code by Fontfabric, Shelter Me by Kimberly Geswein