Sunday 16 March 2014

March 2013 in Seoul: Edae / Sunnies / The Cup

Edae, pronounced "e-hwa" not "ew-ha", is short for Ewha Women's University and is the dream school of guys who want to be surrounded by Korean girls everyday. Or just girls in general. I've heard of friends' male friends who went there for university hahaha... Having an all-female university in the area, it goes without saying that there is a lot of shopping for clothes and cosmetics here. It is also the place to look for more affordable hair services. After my first perm, I coloured my hair and had my second perm in Edae, because I spent quite a bit of money after all that traveling. If not I would have returned to Lee Chul Hairkerker.

However, what intrigued me most was the beautiful campus. My friends and I took a walk around while some of our female friends did their hair. I wish my campus was this pretty. I actually loved going to school (Korea University) back then because school was beautiful and filled with beautiful people. I loved that every faculty is within reasonable walking distance and I don't have to wait for buses that are crowded and sometimes take forever to come. Weather was amazing too, which made walking from one building to another very bearable, with my sunnies of course.

It was perfectly normal to be walking in campus with sunglasses on in Korea; it's actually a good habit that they practise to protect their eyes. Besides that, I found that in Seoul it was okay to wear them anywhere, even if there is no sun. When I first came back I wore sunglasses often due to habit, but realised I was getting strange stares so I tried not to wear them in "strange" places or people were going to ask me where the sun was, as if it's important. On days when I have a good comeback for such absurd questions, I leave them on. Yes, in the train. I highly recommend that people start investing in good sunglasses (by that I mean those with proper sufficient UV protection) and actually wear them out.

The last few photos are taken in The Cup, a place in Edae that we took refuge in after the girls had their hair done. The lady there (not sure if she was the owner or not) was really nice because it seemed like she was getting ready to close the shop but she happily opened up the kitchen just for us. They serve carb-heavy meals in paper cups such as rice, noodles and pasta. If you're on those no-carb diets that I don't understand or just looking for something light, you can choose from their salad menu. If you noticed, Javin wore his sunglasses (1) indoors and (2) in the evening. Bam! Point proven.

2 comments:

Samantha said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hi Valerie! Chanced upon your blog and was wondering what course are you studying currently!! Because your exchange in seoul looks so fun!!

val said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@Samantha Hi Samantha! It was indeed very fun, but I don't think it is too dependent on the course I'm taking. It was my school and the country! I am studying Business in NUS Business School, to answer your question (:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com
Fonts: Code by Fontfabric, Shelter Me by Kimberly Geswein