Thursday 13 March 2014

March 2013 in Seoul: Namdaemun Market

Namdaemun market was the place Javin and I went to for peanut butter, because it was where foreign imports are sold. It is really crowded, especially on weekends and weekday mornings.

There are always long queues for the hotteok, a type of pancake with various fillings, particularly those filled with japchae (sweet potato noodles mixed with vegetables and sesame oil). I don't really fancy the japchae hotteok, because it is deep fried and way too greasy, but I really like the other version, called bubble hotteok. These are filled with brown sugar and cinnamon and baked, so the end result is a light and crispy exterior. It's my second favourite street snack in Seoul. There are lots of other street snacks too in this part of the market, but Namdaemun is apparently known for hotteok.

Namdaemun market is good for people who want to experience the crowdedness of a Korean market, but the sights/food aren't that interesting or mind-blowing enough for me. I don't like deep fried hotteok and I can find my beloved bubble hotteok in other places. I dislike crowds very much and there isn't much to buy if you're looking for clothes. I would recommend Dongdaemun for fashion-related shopping. If you like, you can refer to this Shopping in Seoul post for more information. For souvenirs, I think Insadong has just as many, or more, interesting stuff, along with better-looking tourist attractions and richer culture.

Namdaemun Market
49, Namchang-dong, Jung-gu, Seoul, South Korea
Hoehyeon Station (Line 4), Exit 5
Closed on Sundays

4 comments:

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hi Valerie! Can I know which photo editor you used to edit the pictures in this post? Thanks :)

val said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@Anonymous Hi, I just used presets in Lightroom (:

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Which preset? :)

val said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@Anonymous It's actually a preset that I configured on my own! Nothing fancy cos I'm not skilled, but just adjusted the stuff like contrast, fill light, blacks etc (:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com
Fonts: Code by Fontfabric, Shelter Me by Kimberly Geswein