Friday 19 July 2013

I've missed you, Singaporean food!



The past few days have been simple, maybe even mundane for some. There are so many people to catch up with, but I want a respite from everything because for the longest time, I've been rushing to do something everyday. I actually feel tired. So this is what I really need - to just relax, collect my thoughts and get myself in the right state of mind before life starts getting busy again.

Needless to say, I've been indulging in food that I've missed for the last five months. Being away from home made me realise how much I take Singapore and the food we have here for granted.

Everything in Korea, or rather everything I usually ate, was based on red pepper, so everything tasted almost the same. Being from Singapore, my wonderful food paradise with an insane variety to choose from, I got bored of Korean food after a week or two. Maybe it was because I was 85.714286% vegetarian in Korea that my food choices were drastically limited. I ate bibimbap (mixed vegetable rice) and kimbap (rice roll) almost everyday. Don't get me wrong, bibimbap and kimbap are delicious (my favourites), but I can't live without Singaporean hawker food.

Throughout my exchange, whenever I share stories about Singapore with my KUBA (Korea University Buddy Assistants) members (more about that another time, but this is basically a group of international students), I am mostly talking to them about the food we have here. I think I really sold Singapore to them though, because a few of them have told me that they will see me in Singapore haha!

As Virgina Woolf says, "One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."

Indeed!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com
Fonts: Code by Fontfabric, Shelter Me by Kimberly Geswein